Delight your taste buds and impress your guests with the ultimate best deep fried chicken wings recipe. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll take you on a culinary journey, exploring the history of deep-fried chicken wings, how to deep fry chicken wings, discussing the perfect occasions to savour this crispy delight, and providing valuable tips to master the art of creating them. Get ready to take your cooking skills to the next level with Frymax, the UK’s leading supplier of sustainable palm oil, and create a mouth-watering experience for your guests.
The History of Deep Fried Chicken Wings
The history of deep-fried chicken wings is a fascinating journey that traces back to Buffalo, New York, in the 1960s. This iconic dish has evolved from a local speciality to a global culinary phenomenon. Let’s explore the origins and development of this beloved appetiser:
- Birthplace: The story begins in Buffalo, a city in upstate New York. The specific restaurant credited with the invention of Buffalo Wings is the Anchor Bar. In 1964, the bar’s co-owner, Teressa Bellissimo, is said to have concocted the dish on a whim, using leftover chicken wings.
- Creation at the Anchor Bar: The legend goes that Teressa Bellissimo’s son and his friends arrived at the bar late one night. To satisfy the hungry group, she deep-fried some leftover chicken wings.
- Emergence of Variations: As the popularity of deep fried chicken wings soared, other establishments began to adopt and adapt the recipe.
- Super Bowl Connection: The widespread popularity of chicken wings received a significant boost during the 1990s, thanks in part to the Super Bowl. The championship game became synonymous with wing consumption.
- Mainstream Fast Food: Today, deep-fried chicken wings have transcended their origins as a bar snack and are a staple in the fast-food industry with many major chains offering various wing options.
Perfect Occasions for Deep Fried Chicken Wings
Choosing the perfect occasion to deep fry chicken wings is an art that can turn any gathering into a flavourful and enjoyable experience. Here’s a short list of events where one might find this classic and crowd-pleasing dish.
- Game Nights and Sports Events: Deep-fried chicken wings are a staple for game nights, sporting events, and gatherings centred around televised competitions.
- Backyard Barbecues and Picnics: Whether it’s a casual backyard barbecue or a picnic in the park, wings are easy to handle, delicious, and sure to be a hit with guests of all ages.
- Office Parties and Potlucks: Surprise your colleagues with a flavourful contribution to office parties or potlucks. Deep-fried chicken wings are easy to transport and can be enjoyed as a snack or part of a larger meal.
- Birthday Parties and Celebrations: Elevate the festive atmosphere of birthday parties and celebrations with a platter of deep-fried chicken wings. Their versatility allows you to experiment with different flavours and sauces, catering to diverse palates and preferences.
The Best Oil to Deep Fry Chicken Wings
Selecting the best oil for deep frying chicken wings is crucial for achieving that golden brown goodness we all love, as it can significantly impact the flavour and texture of the final dish. Here are some tips to help you choose the best oil for frying chicken wings:
- High Smoke Point: The smoke point of an oil is the temperature at which it begins to break down and produce smoke. When deep-frying, it’s essential to choose an oil with a high smoke point to prevent it from breaking down and imparting undesirable flavours to the chicken wings. Examples of oils with high smoke points suitable for frying include palm oil and peanut oil. The best oil for deep frying chicken wings is palm oil, as it has a neutral flavour and is sustainable too!
- Neutral Flavour: Choose oils with a neutral flavour profile, allowing the natural taste of the chicken and any added seasonings to shine. Oils like peanut and avocado oil have strong flavours that will influence the overall taste of your dish, but sustainable palm oil has a very neutral flavour, making it a versatile choice for deep frying everything from chicken wings and chips to ice cream and mince pies!
- Health Factors: While deep-frying inherently involves oil, you can make healthier choices within the category. For instance, palm oil (not to be confused with palm kernel oil) is the often best choice, as it is trans-fat and cholesterol-free, rich in antioxidants and Vitamin E, and can help improve heart health. Keep in mind that moderation is key, and the occasional indulgence in deep-fried treats can be part of a healthy, balanced diet.
Tips for Making the Best Deep Fried Chicken Wings
Embark on a culinary adventure with our expert tips for making the perfect deep fried chicken wings. Here, we’ll guide you through the secrets to achieving that coveted crispy texture and mouth-watering flavour that defines the best deep fried chicken wings.
- Choose High-Quality Chicken Wings: To deep fry chicken wings well, start by looking for wings that are plump and free from any off-putting odours. If possible, choose organic or locally sourced wings for the best flavour.
- Thoroughly Dry the Chicken Wings: Pat them down with paper towels to remove excess moisture. This step is crucial for achieving a crispy exterior during the frying process.
- Double Coating for Extra Crispiness: After the initial flour or crumb coating, dip the wings back into the buttermilk and then into the seasoned flour or crumb mixture again before frying.
- Invest in a Quality Cooking Oil: The choice of cooking oil is crucial for achieving the perfect deep-fried chicken wings. Use palm oil as it can withstand high frying temperatures without burning or giving unwanted flavours to the wings.
- Fry in Batches: Fry the chicken wings in small batches to maintain control over the cooking process and ensure each wing is perfectly golden brown.
Protein: 27g Fat: 40g
Saturated Fat: 6g
Vitamin A: 264IU
Vitamin C: 12mg
This deep fried chicken wings recipe serves 4 but quantities can be easily adjusted to cater for more.
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 15 – 20 minutes
- 1 kg chicken wings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Prepare the Chicken Wings: Start by washing and drying the chicken wings thoroughly. Trim excess skin and separate it into drumettes and flats.
- Create the Coating Mixture: In a bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. This seasoned mixture will be the key to a flavourful coating.
- Dip and Coat: Dredge each wing in the seasoned flour mixture, ensuring an even coating. Shake off excess flour.
- Buttermilk Bath: Place coated wings in a bowl of buttermilk. The buttermilk adds a tangy flavour and helps create a crispy outer layer.
- Double Coating (Optional): For extra crispiness, repeat the coating process. Dip the wings back into the seasoned flour mixture and then into the buttermilk again.
- Heat the Oil: In a deep fryer or large, deep pan, heat your palm oil to 190°C. The ideal oil temperature ensures a quick and even fry.
- Fry in Batches: Carefully place coated wings into the hot oil, frying in batches to avoid overcrowding.
- Monitor Cooking Time: Fry wings for 12-15 minutes, turning occasionally to ensure even browning. Wings are ready when golden brown.
- Drain and Rest: Use a slotted spoon to remove wings, allowing excess oil to drain. Place on a wire rack to cool and rest for a few minutes.
- Serve and Enjoy: Arrange deep-fried chicken wings on a platter and serve hot with your favourite dipping sauces.
Frymax – Delivering Every Golden Bite
Experience culinary excellence with Frymax, the UK’s premier choice in high-quality frying oil since 1954. At Frymax, our commitment to excellence extends beyond taste. Our ingredient quality has remained unwavering, showcasing the timeless dedication that has defined Frymax since its inception.
For further information on our premium frying oil and to embark on a journey of culinary perfection and sustainability, reach out to our friendly Frymax staff. Fry to perfection, every time, with Frymax.